This week’s cocktail is a perfect bridge between summer and fall: the Summer Rye. Summer heat is channeled through the whiskey and St. Germain’s notes of white flowers, while the light sweetness of apple juice and champagne evoke the crisper months to come. The creative process of mixing this drink is simple yet sophisticated, and helps soothe the sting of another Michigan summer winding down.
- 1.5 oz Sazerac rye whiskey
- 3/4 oz St. Germain elderflower liqueur
- 1/4 oz simple syrup
- 3/4 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 oz Fuji apple juice
- Champagne, chilled, to top (approximately 3/4 oz)
- Garnish: apple cubes
- Add the rye whiskey, elderflower liqueur, simple syrup, lemon juice and Fuji apple juice to a shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled.
- Double-strain into a rocks glass filled with fresh ice.
- Top with the Champagne.
- Garnish with diced apple cubes and serve.