Pour up a cup of happiness with this homemade Indian Masala Chai. This recipe is the traditional way of preparing chai, so it takes some time and patience — but it's worth every sip, and is so much better than your typical coffee shop chai. The Indian Masala Chai is nonalcoholic and the perfect drink to warm up your day. The masala mix is made with cinnamon, cardamom, clove, nutmeg, ginger, and peppercorn, and will have your whole house smelling heavenly. Prepare your chai of choice to your liking and add the masala mix to help warm up your mindset.
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tsp. masala chai mix
- 2 Tbsp. Chai leaves (loose English tea or tea bags)
- 3-4 tsp. sugar (can substitute honey)
- 5 cloves
- 5 peppercorns
- 3 green cardamom
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg powder
- 2 tsp. ginger powder
- Bring all the Masala ingredients together.
- Transfer to a mortar and pound to make a coarse powder.
- Add water and milk together in a saucepot. Bring the liquid to a rolling boil on medium-high heat.
- Add chai masala and chai leaves into the pot. Mix well, cover, then turn off the heat. Let the spices and tea steep into the liquid for 5 minutes. Stir in sugar or sweetener of choice.
- Strain into a teacup. Serve hot.
Recipe via Sukhi's Gourmet Indian Food.