Created under pressure, "This Is Ourselves" is the perfect match for this episode. This cocktail was made by Carol Donovan who submitted it to AlcoholProfessor.com. With muddled fruit and champagne that is stored under pressure, this cocktail is a welcome reminder that some really, really good things can come from stressful, high-pressure situations. The drink is bourbon-forward and brings in a delightful, autumnal mix of apple cider, champagne, bitters, and a splash of simple syrup for a drink that goes down smooth. The cider is subtle, while the bubbly elevates the endnotes, giving the drink an overall light taste. Pour yourself a glass and consider the sweet rewards of working under pressure.
- 1 oz. bourbon
- 2 dashes whiskey aged bitters
- 1.25 oz. apple cider
- 0.25 oz. cinnamon simple syrup
- 1 oz. champagne or other sparkling wine
- 1 slice tart apple
- An orange twist, to garnish
- Muddle the apple slice gently into the bottom of a collins glass.
- Fill the glass with ice.
- Pour whiskey, apple cider, simple syrup and bitters over ice, and stir gently.
- Top with champagne, and garnish with an orange twist.
Source: The Alcohol Professor