Carter Beats the Devil is a sweet, smoky tequila drink that will make you crave a side of chips and salsa. Considered a modern Bay Area classic, this cocktail shakes things up with Thai chili tincture and Espolòn Reposado Tequila. Word of warning, this drink is a tad spicy–go easy on the chili tincture if you prefer a slightly smoother experience.
- 1/2 oz. Mayalen Joven Mezcal
- 1 1/2 oz. Epsolòn Reposado Tequila
- 1 oz. fresh lime juice
- 1/2 oz. agave nectar
- 10-20 drops Chili tincture
To make the chili tincture:
- Fill a 1 qt. container with stemless Thai chilis and fill to the brim with blanc agricole rhum.
- Let steep for two weeks, tasting on occasion to make sure the mix doesn’t get too spicy.
- Strain out the chilis.
- Fill a bitters bottle with the tincture to serve.
To make the drink:
- Shake the ingredients together with ice and strain into a glass.
- Garnish with a lime twist.
Recipe via Imbibe.